Electric Shock

!!!WATER CONDUCTS ELECTRICITY!!!

Because water conducts electricity you should never use electric appliances near water. This means:

The cords should not be near any water.....

article-modal-ehow-images-a07-6c-49-fix-broken-power-cord-800x800.jpg
Picture from: http://www.ehow.com/how_7549065_fix-broken-power-cord.html



The appliance should not be submerged underwater, even when you are cleaning it....

For most appliances, wiping down the electrical portion of the appliance is the closest they should ever get to water. Not only can immersing an electrical appliance in water, ruin it forever it can also create a risk of electrocution. Even though it takes a tiny bit more time, wipe downs are the only way to clean these small appliances. (Taken from About.com)
And you should never handle an appliance with wet hands.



TAKING CARE OF YOUR APPLIANCES!

Taking care of your appliances is important for kitchen safety. If the cord on an appliance is damaged it should not be used. A damaged cord can cause sparks when plugged in and is very dangerous.

frayed_electrical_cord.jpg


You should never unplug appliances while they are being used. Turn off the appliance and grab the plug to remove it from the socket. NEVER pull on the cord to unplug an appliance. It will damage the cord and can cause a shock when you plug it in again.

You should also never use metal utensils to get something out of an appliance. If the metal touches an electric motor; just like water, metal conducts electricity.
If you use a fork on your toaster the bread won't be the only thing that's toasted!
fork in toaster.jpg
taken from http://www.polyvore.com/fork_in_toaster_bad_idea/thing?id=15849182


If your bread does get jammed in the toaster, unplug the toaster before trying to get it out. Wooden tongs are a great alternative to using metal utensils.
wooden tongs.jpg
Taken from thecookingcompany.com.au



WHAT TO DO IF SOMEONE IS BEING ELECTROCUTED?

Never grab someone who is being electrocuted. People are made of mostly water and will conduct the electric shock. Before moving them, disconnect the power source. Then you may move them away and call 911!


Separate